Historian Sarah Crabtree has a great post about William Rotch over on the "Age of Revolutions" blog:

"A member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) and therefore a pacifist, William Rotch vehemently opposed the wars for independence and empire during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.  As a result, the governments of three different countries accused him of disloyalty between 1775 and 1795.

"Historians have emphasized the Friends’ quietism, portraying them as passive, neutral, and aloof.  I maintain, however, that Quakers engaged directly and forcefully with the changing political landscape. 

"I argue that during this period the Society of Friends formed a 'holy nation': a transnational community of like-minded believers united in opposition to unholy governments and laws.  In so doing, they not only directly resisted the governments under which they lived but vigorously challenged the new values championed by those in power—nationalism, patriotism, and citizenship."

Here's a link to the full post: http://ageofrevolutions.com/2016/03/28/quaker-whaler-coward-spy-wil...

I am curious what others here think of her concept of Friends as a "holy nation," and whether any have read her book on the subject: http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/H/bo20145425.html.

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't read her book; but this: http://quakertheology.org/peoplehood-1.htm

is a shorter treatment of that concept in our history.

It looks as though I will have the opportunity to interview Sarah Crabtree. If you have any questions you would like to ask her, please let me know!

Okay, the 'Circuit' borrowing system here, including some local college libraries, does have the book, which so far I'm enjoying.

Wonderful! I look forward to hearing your thoughts! I posted her responses to my interview questions (which include an excerpt from the book) here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
5 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service