Dear Friends,
For several years I have been drawn to Quakerism (if I may use that term). I come from a traditional Christian background, where Christ is very central in my experience and belief.
I have attended meeting for worship,here in Australia,many times.There I have met New Age Quakers, Athiest Quakers, have heard of Jewish Quakers etc. Now this has caused some 'unease' within. I can rationalise that Quakers do not meet around a set of beliefs, but an encounter with the Divine. However, there remains this 'unease' within that hinders me from fully entering in at meeting and with becoming a Quaker.
Can you help?
Peace
Jeffrey.

Views: 2027

Replies to This Discussion

Jeffrey

Maybe . . . that unease feeling is . . . God wanting you to spend time with only him . . . and not the Quakers?

Rick
If I were better tuned in myself, would it bother me that

1) The tradition I joined because I saw it was founded on Truth-- is mistaken in some way, has 'gone wrong' like any other religious tradition, to the extent that

2) Lots of really good, intelligent people are just sitting their 1 hr/Sunday without expecting or receiving what they could have from God, if only they knew to want it, while

3) A whole world full of people are out there tormenting themselves and others, who might be living much more pleasant and interesting lives if they only knew what Friends are supposed to know, but so often don't...

No doubt I'd be more patient with it! But I don't think this is how God wants things to remain.

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service