From "What Comes After Liberalism," *Tablet Magazine* An excerpt from Bruno Maçães’ new book, ‘History Has Begun,’ explores the emerging ‘virtualism’ of America's post-liberal society. "What contemporary America exhibits is a world of worlds where the high-tech utopia of San Francisco exists side by side with those parts of the country where many more people believe in heaven, hell and angels than in the theory of evolution."

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fareed: The Pandemic Should Be a Great Equalizer. It Isn’t.

“Pandemics should be the great equalizer,” Fareed writes in his latest Washington Post column. “They affect everyone, rich and poor, Black and White, urban and rural.” But instead, Covid-19 “is ushering in the greatest rise in economic inequality in decades, both globally and in the United States.”

The World Bank estimates 100 million people will fall back into extreme poverty worldwide. In the US, between 6 and 8 million have been pushed into poverty, by one estimate—and while the top 25% of earners has largely recovered, the bottom 25% “has cratered.” Still, Congress can’t agree on another economic relief package.

“I cannot help but wonder whether the relative normalcy of life for elites has prevented us from understanding the true severity of the problem,” Fareed writes. “For those of us using Zoom, things have been a bit disruptive and strange. But for tens of millions of people in the United States—and hundreds of millions around the world—this is the Great Depression. Can we please help them?”

Following this review Macaes' seems to say that before our times, when "Liberalism" reigned, all people were of the same opinion. Is that so? I would rather say that so-called "public opinion" was much more homogenous but people's opinions were as divided as ever.

With other words, there was a liberal "hegemony" - not a normal state of affairs in a democracy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
5 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service