I just received the Spring 2011 issue of Interchange, the newsletter of Baltimore Yearly Meeting, and discovered that someone is thinking of me.

It is time to register for the 340th annual session of Baltimore Yearly Meeting.  The theme this year is "Moving Forward in Community:  Welcoming the Divine, Welcoming Every Person."

On page 2 is a presentation of the theme and a set of queries for individuals and meetings as they prepare for the annual sessions.  Then there are some additional queries under the heading "Related Thoughts:"

• What does our experience with mentally ill F/friends teach us about inclusion?
  • Is our Meeting House welcoming regarding Accessibility issues?
  • Are we welcoming to Transgender F/friends?
  • Are we welcoming to Christocentrics/others?
  • Does our meeting reflect the diversity of the population in our area?

I am happily "Christocentric" (although I am puzzled by who those "/others" might be) and am always bemused when groups of Friends are challenged by the presence of "Christocentrics" among them.  Three generations ago almost every Friend, whether in the Gurney, Hicks, or Wilbur traditions, would have been very comfortable with being considered "Christ-centered."  What happened?

One explanation:  It is a working out of Neuhaus' LawWhere orthodoxy is optional, orthodoxy will sooner or later be proscribed.  (I encourage you to read the linked article to get a fuller understanding of what Neuhaus meant.)

Thank you, Baltimore Yearly Meeting, for thinking of me.

Bill

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I appreciate your comment, as a Christian who left BYM.  But I think Neuhaus has a bit of a problem in the opposite direction.

Liberal Friends are right to be wary of doctrinal formulas (Neuhaus would not agree). The Gospels show Jesus as having the most trouble with those who were the most careful to be doctrinally correct. And you look in Luke where Jesus was asked what needed to be done to inherit eternal life, and Jesus responded with the Parable of the Good Samaritan. No one in his audience would have been unaware that he was placing someone they all would have considered a heretic in the heroic role in the parable. At other times, he would answer questions with a series of parables which looked at the matter from several different angles. A very different approach from a neat doctrinal formulation.

So there is some truth to Liberal Friends' disdain of orthodoxy. You can't really put God into a neat, humanly designed box, although one needs to observe that many of the orthodox formulations are not so much wrong as not being a full picture. But you do need to have a spiritual center - some sense of the Truth which is a genuinely corporately held norm. Without that, you run into the spiritual dead ends which many meetings have indeed experienced, and you wind up throwing the baby out with the bath water. So you get to the ridiculous point of pleading for some toleration of those who hold to the original core understanding of the centrality of the Living Christ. And I think you often wind up with a basis for unity which is not only not explicit, but something that if stated baldly Friends would recoil at. Liberal meetings sometimes seem to have become clubs for a certain WASP, middle-class, well educated, liberal demographic. And that is an abomination, IMHO.

The church where I am now has found a way to have a center without falling into the doctrinal trap. And we are clear about being a centered set rather than a bounded set (which is what traditional orthodoxy leads to). We have a vision which undergirds everything we do.

The unprogrammed, nonhierarchical character of many Friends meetings provides great vulnerability to drifting away from the core of the faith. Earlier generations of Friends had ways they used to keep more or less on track. Not by any means perfect ways, but when used in the right Spirit (unfortunately that was not always the case) did help to keep Friends united in a vital spirituality. These ways have largely been abandoned by large parts of the Society (partly due to abusive use of them), but they have not been effectively replaced. And things have drifted so far in much of Quakerism that one wonders whether it can be truly revitalized, although there have been serious efforts in recent decades which have borne some fruit.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
5 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service