Hello! My name is Michael. I have some questions about Quakers, and Quakerism, and I am hoping that I came to the right place.

My wife and I are Catholic, and we have recently been honored to become godparents to a beautiful baby girl. The little girl is going to be raised as a Quaker. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Quakerism, and I would very much like to learn more.

So I have two questions. First, can someone suggest some books to read about Quakers? What are the best five books you can think of for someone who would like to know more about Quaker history, theology, world view, etc.?

Second, I'm not so sure that godparenting is something that's 'official' in the Quaker church. Any thoughts or resources related to that would be tremendously helpful.

I am looking forward to learning as much as I can about your tradition. I call myself a Catholic, but I am moving more and more away from formal religion, and toward...something. Post-religion? Christian community instead of denomination? I'm not sure what it is.

God bless you, and thanks you so much!

Michael

Views: 766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Michael,

Joseph has done very well by you. He is a student of Quakerism, and he is close to the best resources as a result. I am glad he has reached out to you.

Before I give you my own recommendation for reading, I think I should briefly outline the design of our Society. We attend "meeting" rather than "church," and when we say "meeting," we generally are referring to our local body ("monthly meeting"), which we attend every First Day (Sunday). Each monthly meeting is usually part of a larger body known as the Yearly Meeting. These bodies are so called because of how we operate our business meetings: once a month in our local meetings, once a year in the larger organization. Some monthly meetings are also part of a Quarterly or Half-Year meeting, which is larger than a monthly meeting but smaller than the Yearly Meeting. I am writing only about the more liberal branch of Friends; I will describe something of the various branches later.

I have never heard of the practice of using Godparents within our Society, so I cannot speak to that. Perhaps other Friends can tell you something. Or perhaps there is information online.

I tell you all of this to make another important recommendation to reading. To Joseph's list I would strongly recommend adding the Quaker reference book known as Faith & Practice. This is a publication followed by all unprogrammed Friends meetings (I don't know about Friends Churches, which are programmed, meaning they have a pastor). Most Yearly Meetings create their own versions of Faith & Practice; smaller yearly meetings often adopt another yearly meeting's Faith & Practice. For example, I am a member of Lake Erie Yearly Meeting; we use the F&P created by Philadelphia Yearly Meeting.

F&P will explain all about Quaker tenets and testimonies (Faith), as well as give you a good overview of how our meetings operate ("procedures") and how Friends cultivate their lives in the Spirit (practice). You will also find historical sketches, and important components of our religious practice called "Advices and Queries." (These are important for self-examination as we strive to follow the Spirit.)

Ask the parents of your new Goddaughter if they have a copy of F&P that you can look at. If they don't have a copy, or say that their branch doesn't follow a F&P, ask them to tell you what kind of meeting/church they attend, and the name of the larger Quaker body. You can then google the name and follow links to more information. If there is anything about being a Godparent within Friends, this is likely where you will find it.

I have been giving you information about what is often called Liberal Friends in the United States, which fall under the umbrella of the large body called Friends General Conference, based in Philadelphia. There are also Conservative Friends, which fall under three large yearly meetings. Both Liberal and Conservative Friends are unprogrammed, which means we hold meetings for worship, or waiting worship held in silence. Ministry arises out of the silence. There are also Friends Churches, which I mentioned above, and these have programmed services, led by a pastor. These tend to fall under an organization of Friends called Friends United Meeting, based in Richmond, Indiana. Finally, there are Evangelical Friends, which are allied with an organization called Evangelical Friends International (Canton, Ohio, I think). Other Friends meetings may be unaffiliated.

My fellow Quakers can correct the information I have given. I speak from a position of personal knowledge and imperfect understanding, but I hope I have given you enough information to set you on your quest for knowledge about your Goddaughter's faith.

I am including a link for Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, where you can learn basics about the Religious Society of Friends. Right at the top of their home page are helpful introductory topics. http://www.pym.org/ 

Blessings on you and the little one.

Yours in the Light of the Divine Spirit, Paula

Paul and Joey, thank you both for this wealth of information. I will follow your links and advice. I am embarrassed to admit to my ignorance about Quakerism, beyond a very limited, superficial knowledge. I am looking forward to learning much more about your beautiful and inspiring tradition. There is so much to learn about, and to pray about. 

God bless you both.

Incidentally, my goddaughter and her family live in Philadelphia, so your link to the PYM is most helpful. I will ascertain with meeting in particular they are going to be members of.

Thanks again. Expect more questions....:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
6 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service