What does it mean to "live to the point"?

Views: 441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Amy,

Smith quotes the French philosopher Montaigne, who wrote,

"If you have known how to compose your life, you have accomplished a great deal more than the man who knows how to compose a book. All other things--to reign, to hoard, to build--are, at most, but inconsiderable props and appendages. The great and glorious masterpiece of man is to live to the point."

Smith quotes Montaigne in a discussion of simplicity. Simplicity helps keep us centered and focused on what really matters in life, becoming more effective in what we do. That is living "to the point," keeping "first things first."

If you were to seek out the original quote by Montaigne, you would see he uses it in purely secular terms, generally that living simply, stripping away the props, allows us to live well by seeing what matters. Smith writes of "letting your life speak" being more than a spiritual notion, that our birthright spark of God imposes a "solemn responsibility for action." In such a case, I would argue that God is "the point." And we are going to see "the point" by stripping down, clearing our lives of stuff that stands between us and God. That "stuff" can be material or matter of the mind.

That's my best shot. :) I hope others will speak to the topic.

Incidentally, this is not a term I have heard before.

Yours in Truth, Paula

Informative and well said, Paula. Thank you.

I've not heard that quote before, but my first reaction was to live in the moment, in an authentic way, without worrying about the past or planning for the future.

It is the ultimate expression of "being", which is the state in which I find myself closest to the Light.

:-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
6 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service