Me no like George Fox University no mo!

Views: 1104

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

William, you are a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge about so many cultural, theological and other issues as it pertains to the Religious Society of Friends!  I know you have written papers, and I hope you will or have put your papers together in a tome of some sort, or at the very least, I hope that thee has some sort of bibliography of the papers, books and other historical references and links that thee refers to in a tangible form somewhere that can be accessed.  I remember when thee answered my question about the sing-song preaching, and the knowledge concerning that fellow,  William Bacon, that I had unintentionally slandered on this site,  and so on, no matter how obscure, I can count on thee to know about it!  How about creating a Quaker trivial pursuit game? That would be fun! It seems every day I learn some new fact about the RSOF, as I myself collect every sort of old book I can come across etc.  I know it is now and not then, but I still love to learn about then!  Thanks
William F Rushby said:

Actually, the traditional practice (at least in America and, I assume, the British Isles) was for the supplicant to kneel, and the congregation to rise.  The men turned and faced the door on the men's side of the meetinghouse.

William F Rushby said:

Actually, the traditional practice (at least in America and, I assume, the British Isles) was for the supplicant to kneel, and the congregation to rise.  The men turned and faced the door on the men's side of the meetinghouse.

Hello again, Laura!

Actually, it was William Evans about whom we had the previous discussion.  See http://trilogy.brynmawr.edu/speccoll/dictionary/index.php/EVANS,_Wi...

I don't claim to have nearly as much knowledge as you think.  I do admit to knowing a good bit about traditional Quaker ritual.  I am not as far removed from it personally as are many scholars.

I have my paper on "Ann Branson and the Eclipse of Oracular Ministry in 19th Century Quakerism" nearly ready to submit to a journal.  It took years to get to this point.  In contrast, Rufus Jones could write a whole book in one summer vacation.  He was a man of great intellect.  Also, he had no sheep!!  Nor did he experience the heartaches in life that I have.  And he had the Haverford Library and Quaker Collection "across the lawn" (I guess) from his house.

Keep searching spiritually with great earnestness.  Be ready to learn from others.   Avoid rash judgments.  Prize personal humility and modesty.  And plead for God's mercy for your sins and shortcomings!

Bill Rushby

Thanks William, or Bill if thee prefers.  I had thought it might be "William Bacon Evans" or perhaps that is another fellow.  I wasn't quite sure but knew I could trust you to remember it!  As for as begging for mercy, don't feel I need to, being in mercy and grace unspeakable. Being fearfully and wonderfully made, and a good work begun in me which will be completed. And I fear not in the blessed life of solitude I have been given,  and at my age and all I have been through, how wonderful to have all ready overcome so many trials.  I am sorry for the heartache you speak of and which it wasn't so.  As for Rufus Jones, he was a cheery man, but he did endure sorrow at the loss of a young son.  Do not mistake my style of rhetoric for me, there is a purpose in my style and  it can be rejected if it offends, but do not mistake it for me.  No real person is present on this website! And I don't believe any relationships online are real either, but it is a place to get information.
William F Rushby said:

Hello again, Laura!

Actually, it was William Evans about whom we had the previous discussion.  See http://trilogy.brynmawr.edu/speccoll/dictionary/index.php/EVANS,_Wi...

I don't claim to have nearly as much knowledge as you think.  I do admit to knowing a good bit about traditional Quaker ritual.  I am not as far removed from it personally as are many scholars.

I have my paper on "Ann Branson and the Eclipse of Oracular Ministry in 19th Century Quakerism" nearly ready to submit to a journal.  It took years to get to this point.  In contrast, Rufus Jones could write a whole book in one summer vacation.  He was a man of great intellect.  Also, he had no sheep!!  Nor did he experience the heartaches in life that I have.  And he had the Haverford Library and Quaker Collection "across the lawn" (I guess) from his house.

Keep searching spiritually with great earnestness.  Be ready to learn from others.   Avoid rash judgments.  Prize personal humility and modesty.  And plead for God's mercy for your sins and shortcomings!

Bill Rushby

P.S. William excited to hear about this new work of yours coming up!  Let us know what journal and so on. Would love to see a bibliography of all your works.

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
6 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service