So.  As those who read my postings have noticed, I have an interest in Quakers gathered in Intentional Neighborhoods, Cities on a Hill, etc. I posted regarding the forming of Monte Verde.   I posted about Quaker Intentional Village.   I have visited one other community that was originally Quaker founded and I know about some others This group is a sort of  Quaker Founded neighborhood that is open to everyone of course. There are all kinds of ways to start a community, from forming a tax-exempt church, a for-profit business etc. and if anyone is interested I can refer them to resources. In this case, there is a Meeting House and lots for sale in a pretty place, open to anyone to purchase, but incidentally, lots of Friends are involved.  My only concern about posting was that properties are advertised on this link I am putting up and that might be a no-no, not sure. Anyway, just in case there are people who  think this is just their cup of tea. Here goes:http://www.arizonafriends.com/node/113 

Martin let me know if this is uncool and I will take it down.  (Properties are sold for the benefit of a Quaker College and Quaker School)  As with my info on The Golden Rule, I am passing on what I know, but someone else can probably explain it much better to those whose interest may be sparked.  Come let us grow old together, the best is yet to be.

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it's okay. There's also a section of theForum for free classifieds (though anywhere is fine)

Okay, well I am not advertising for these folks and I can't speak for them or say much about it, but there may be people who might like to move close to others who are looking to be neighborly and supportive in a community that has private ownership of houses but lots of neighborly help rooted in Quaker ideals, whether members of RSOF at any level or not. Who really ever minds having a Quaker for a neighbor?   I did consider moving down there at one time, but too far from my family.  They have the Starbuck Retreat House for visitors. Thanks for the feedback Quakerquaker

I was reading over more carefully what is going on at Arizona Friends Community. As when I spoke about The Golden Rule maybe someone who knows more than I can speak up.  It seems they are saying that the original settlers are getting older and generally moving out, that is the core Quaker community moving out it seems.  Sales of the lots and homes will benefit Olney Friends School and Wilmington College. I don't want to move to Arizona myself, but what an opportunity for Quaker families and individuals,   to gather together and keep the vision going.  Many of you will be familiar with Bryn Gweld, another Friends found community that someone else can speak on with more authority than I.  Where all this is coming from, beyond an interest in the survival of human-centered society in general, is a concern for young people, for children, for people trying to raise children in Light, and how nice a nurturing community of people living reasonably close by sounds to me.  I have grandchildren now.   I don't have a television but when I do have occasion to watch television or just scan the news on the Internet I am just getting sadder and sadder about the culture around me, this is what drives my interest in the old but maybe not tired concept, "Critical Mass', using that instead of 'City on a Hill" or "Holy Experiment".    Wouldn't it be nice if we could be a Great People Gathered Together in social units that might differ from the norm noticeably enough to cast a little light on the culture around us?  So, I hear about experiments and opportunities and I pass those ideas along.   There was a great disservice done to the movement towards greater community by the movie, "Wanderlust" in which all the old stereotypes based on 1960s communes, (free love, no privacy, foolishness, drug use, charismatic leader holding all the power, inability to interact maturely with the mainstream culture as needed, poor sanitation, etc.) were reworked for the amusement of all, reinforcing the idea that any move towards modifying the culture to be more "human-scaled"  must be placed firmly in the unworkable hippie vision category.  I know this is a bit off topic for this website, but I am pointing out that Quakers and people with Quaker values have done this and by nature have a lot of attributes harmonious with the development of mutually supportive communities that can also minister to a troubled culture.  The movie, "Within Reach" is a nice antidote to the not recommended "Wanderlust".

Laura Scattergood said:

I was reading over more carefully what is going on at Arizona Friends Community. As when I spoke about The Golden Rule maybe someone who knows more than I can speak up.  It seems they are saying that the original settlers are getting older and generally moving out, that is the core Quaker community moving out it seems.  Sales of the lots and homes will benefit Olney Friends School and Wilmington College. I don't want to move to Arizona myself, but what an opportunity for Quaker families and individuals,   to gather together and keep the vision going.  Many of you will be familiar with Bryn Gweld, another Friends found community that someone else can speak on with more authority than I.  Where all this is coming from, beyond an interest in the survival of human-centered society in general, is a concern for young people, for children, for people trying to raise children in Light, and how nice a nurturing community of people living reasonably close by sounds to me.  I have grandchildren now.   I don't have a television but when I do have occasion to watch television or just scan the news on the Internet I am just getting sadder and sadder about the culture around me, this is what drives my interest in the old but maybe not tired concept, "Critical Mass', using that instead of 'City on a Hill" or "Holy Experiment".    Wouldn't it be nice if we could be a Great People Gathered Together in social units that might differ from the norm noticeably enough to cast a little light on the culture around us?  So, I hear about experiments and opportunities and I pass those ideas along.   There was a great disservice done to the movement towards greater community by the movie, "Wanderlust" in which all the old stereotypes based on 1960s communes, (free love, no privacy, foolishness, drug use, charismatic leader holding all the power, inability to interact maturely with the mainstream culture as needed, poor sanitation, etc.) were reworked for the amusement of all, reinforcing the idea that any move towards modifying the culture to be more "human-scaled"  must be placed firmly in the unworkable hippie vision category.  I know this is a bit off topic for this website, but I am pointing out that Quakers and people with Quaker values have done this and by nature have a lot of attributes harmonious with the development of mutually supportive communities that can also minister to a troubled culture.  The movie, "Within Reach" is a nice antidote to the not recommended "Wanderlust".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
5 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service