Collectively Distracted From The Message and the Mission at times?

http://www.larknews.com/archives/775   

A link from the Christian humor parody  news site  "The Lark",   parallel to "The Onion".   Relevant for us I think.  By the way, the site is ran by a Christian, a man who is okay with using humor to bring up issues in his own culture.  Some Christians have taken offense at this website but it seems many enjoy the joke. 

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, Jesus used to deliver his talks to people gathered for what was probably a traditional supper gathering; and people found that interesting enough. Every church I'm personally familiar with will have refreshments after the service -- Certainly my Meeting does -- but how many people are moved to talk about religious matters on these occasions?

Why don't we?

Hi Forrest,  Thanks for your reply   It isn't the visiting and the snacks and the coffee drinking that needs examining The humor for me here is the idea that in the "church's" marketing survey they found that God wasn't that popular, so they eliminated all traces of spirituality to give the people what they wanted.  The shopping for God like a consumer product.     We know Jesus served snacks, of course.  Loaves and Fishes.   One of my children as a preschooler, suggested that maybe Jesus could multiply our pizza when we ran short.   That's a fun way to imagine the story.  A big party with Jesus present, and the pizza never running out.  Afterwards collecting twelve boxes of uneaten pizza.  And a keg of beer that kept flowing. Okay that's stretching it.   But it makes the story fresh in my mind. 
Forrest Curo said:

So, Jesus used to deliver his talks to people gathered for what was probably a traditional supper gathering; and people found that interesting enough. Every church I'm personally familiar with will have refreshments after the service -- Certainly my Meeting does -- but how many people are moved to talk about religious matters on these occasions?

Why don't we?

And then there's"  John 6:26

A church that didn't satisfy people in at least some way -- simply wouldn't continue. For many of Jesus' adherents, having anything whatsoever to eat was probably a big draw... and their interest in the religious aspect was tied to the fact that being fed, after long deprivation, was clearly tied to what God was doing with Israel at the time.

Yeah, it's interesting that the marketing considerations might drown out concern for what a religious organization really has to offer... but more interesting, to me, that whatever we're supposed to offer doesn't seem to matter so much to us, either. "I found them all drunk; there was no one athirst among them" as the Gospel of Thomas has it...

Well,  it was just a joke anyway.

Forrest Curo said:

A church that didn't satisfy people in at least some way -- simply wouldn't continue. For many of Jesus' adherents, having anything whatsoever to eat was probably a big draw... and their interest in the religious aspect was tied to the fact that being fed, after long deprivation, was clearly tied to what God was doing with Israel at the time.

Yeah, it's interesting that the marketing considerations might drown out concern for what a religious organization really has to offer... but more interesting, to me, that whatever we're supposed to offer doesn't seem to matter so much to us, either. "I found them all drunk; there was no one athirst among them" as the Gospel of Thomas has it...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
6 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
22 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service