Promoting Quaker Quaker as a lucrative advertising venue

I was startled today when I logged onto Quaker Quaker's Bay Area geographical list, and was greeted by the following display ad: 

Advertising on QuakerQuaker

QuakerQuaker.org reaches a highly-targeted audience of Friends and seekers. In Eighth Month 2009, it brought in over 10,000 visits and 43,000 page views. According to direct measurements from Quantcast.com, its readership is:

• Affluent: 29% of its active readership comes from households making over $100,000 per year and 57% from households making over $60,000.
  • Highly educated: 48% percent have college degrees and 23% have post-graduate or graduate degrees.
  • With school-aged children: 23% have children 0-17 years old.

(see full adverisement at: 

The ad continues with readership statistics and further enticements to marketers. 

It seems to me to exploit Quakers for one of our dubious attributes:  Elite social status. 

How would this come across to a net surfer visiting QuakerQuaker.org to learn more about Quakerism?   It feels to me as though an important, change oriented spiritual community is promoting itself by gloating about how much privilege and wealth we enjoy. 

Given how many Quaker activists are grappling with Quakerism's embarassment at being predominently white, highly educated and affluent, this promotion strikes me as inconsistent with the integrity, equality and justice we seek to realize among ourselves and in relationship with the rest of Humanity. 

David Hoffman

Member, Redwood Forest Friends Meeting (unprogramme)

Santa Rosa, California

dhoffmanlaw@earthlink.net

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

QuakerQuaker has been advertiser supported for years. It brings in about $30 a month, enough to cover server bills, the Ning.com bill and occasional feed subscription. Hardly lucrative. It doesn't begin to cover all of the billable hours I lose working on it.

Most Quaker publications are ad supported. The site also includes a rather large Donate button. If more people clicked on that I'd certainly consider turning the ads off.
Dear Martin,

I agree with your use of advertiser support. I don't criticize you or Quaker Quaker for arranging it. I appreciate and value your creation of Quaker Quaker, and the access and networking which it provides to so many of us.

I have serious concerns about the content of this particular ad-promo.

Repeating that concern:

The citing of Quaker Quaker users' affluence and high percentage of college and post-graduate degree holders to make our us attractive to commercial advertisers boasts of our privilege and is inconsistent with the integrity, equality and justice we seek to realize among ourselves and in relationship with the rest of Humanity.

I am guessing this is a generically formatted ad, and the statement about "affluent" is not your wording, but is generated by Quantcast.com software, after it extracts user data and determines that our average or median income is high enough to support the claim we are affluent.

What about replacing that notice with something worded differently, perhaps with a link to Quantcast.com's profile of Quaker Quaker users, click data, etc.?

David Hoffman

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service