Our 197th yearly meeting just ended. Attendance increased quite a bit over the immediately preceding years, which was a blessing. We had attenders from the Yearly Meetings of Canada, Australia, Great Plains (QQ's Micah!), Lake Erie (QQ's Tyler and Tom!), North Carolina and Intermountain. Several other QQ folks also attended, including Isabel, Laura, Faye, Raye, and Arthur. The business was somewhat uneventful, and there was little controversy this year. We had three very good speakers in the evenings as well as two weighty times of worship and a presentation by the youth.

The ministry seemed particularly blessed this year and was again well-focused on the lordship of Christ and the need we all have of following His daily direction in our lives. We missed the presence of Ed Kirk, a 90-year old acknowledged minister with a particularly well-developed gift; he died two months before YM time. On the last day, two female ministers gave a report on a lengthy travel they made under religious concern throughout the western United States. This is a tradition that Ohio Friends have maintained - pairs of Friends travelling under religious concern. Our visitor from Australia wanted someone to demonstrate the ancient sing song ministry, but no one seemed willing to do that. Although the sing song was generally universal among all Friends in 1850, only a small handful of Friends were using it in ministry by 1980, and today only two Friends use it at all, in a somewhat understated way.

During the past year, our Stillwater Quarterly Meeting established a new monthly meeting in Michigan. Twelve Friends from there attended our YM. We also had 14 members and attenders from our other new MM, Keystone Fellowship in Pennsylvania. This is the first time since 1866 that Ohio YM has had two new MMs established within a two-year period, and we trust that it was the Lord and not ourselves that brought this to fruition.

After YM ended, Stillwater Quarterly Meeting held a called session to transact some business related to the new Monthly Meeting. No one was aware if a called session of a QM had ever happened before. We discussed dividing Stillwater QM into two smaller QMs, since it is somewhat unwieldy, stretching from Michigan down to Texas, across to Georgia, then north through western Virginia to eastern Pennsylvania. We didn't have a clear sense of the rightness of dividing the QM, so no action was taken.

That same day, a carload of Friends went to visit a virgin forest nearby. I went on a different trip to see our old Yearly Meeting House at Mount Pleasant. It was built in 1814 and is now owned by the Ohio Historical Society.

The YM adopted an alteration to the Oath section of the Discipline. We also discussed revising our Queries, that were mostly drafted in 1958. We had a good session on the purpose of the Queries and then appointed a committee to consider the ideas and report back next year.

The YM chose to appoint me as a Custodian of the Records. This means that I have the combination to the YM vault! Friends have always been curious about the vault, even though it's really not that interesting. We opened the vault so that I could extract a minute book to deliver to Swarthmore. While in there, I took out Ohio YM's copy of George Fox's 1694 Journal and allowed those gathered outside to look at it. This is another thing that I don't find all that interesting, probably because I have held it before, but the younger Friends were excited to see it and to have the opportunity to go inside the vault.

Overall, it was a very good time. It is a good place for me to be, since I have a clearer sense of Christ Jesus's direction for my life when I am there. I realize that His Light and Spirit are with me whenever and wherever I open myself, but for some reason I am able to open up more there than many other places.

Views: 75

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this report. Sounds like a wonderful Yearly Meeting session.
It was a good YM for me, too. And, as much as there was to do, and as many Friends to visit, I found that I rarely felt rushed or pressed or anything but happy, and blessed, and whole.

There were opportunities to meet Friends I had not met before, and time for some good unhurried listening. I felt relationships blessed by the Lord, and deepened with His help.

There is something, for me, to being among Friends at Yearly Meeting that provides clarity and that deep, healthy peace called shalom. Perhaps it is related to all the prayers that have been uttered through the many years, and those that surround us during Yearly Meeting.

It is something I desire to convey to everyone I spend time with. Thanks for thy good report.
A very good summary. Those of us who were able to make the journey out to Ohio were amply blessed, loved, and spiritually fed. As one friend put it, just one week is enough to "re-charge" us for the entire year.

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
7 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
22 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
22 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service