"Open and Affirming" is not the same as "Reconciliation and Forgiveness"

Is it enough for those Meetings that are welcoming congregations to the glbt community to leave it at that? When we welcome people who have been harmed by other faith messages, is it ok to simply share in the avoidance of the abuser (The Bible, as it has been used against people)?  To what extent should we get to know the Bible more, so we can bring greater reconciliation?  These are not easy issues, but may be important if these welcoming congregations want to really help with reconciliation and forgiveness.  "Open and Affirming" is not the same as "Reconciliation and Forgive...

Views: 227

Replies to This Discussion

I think we should take a fair amount of time examining the biblical , social, and other reasons we have as people of faith for being open and affirming. One of the great myths of religion for gay people is that it has no place for them. And that if you choose as a gay person to reject the negative image of yourself and people like you, you have to abandon the Bible completely to do so. I don't know if I agree with the biblical translations of people like K. Renato Ling. But even conceding a more conservative approach to some of the texts, the reality of  how the Spirits revelation has worked over time,from the days of Abraham to this very day, should give us the confidence to speak out boldly in favor of our gay brothers and sisters. Then we can learn to say, like Peter learned when confronted by the reality of spirit filled gentiles, not to call our gay brothers and sisters, through whom God's spirit moved and continues to move "common or unclean".

It is this type of holy boldness, as well as good Biblical hermeneutics, which will instill in gay Friends  spiritual confidence and begin the spiritual healing that so many still sorely need.

I feel that the bible speaks to the faithful and those who believe in the spirit. It maybe we have to walk in the same path as Jesus to really understand the call to save the dissension of mankind. We are called to follow and to be Christ like that he alone has chosen for us our destiny. It is in this belief that we are called to answer for ourselves what message do we have to give for those struggling in conflict. In answer to the question. I feel that inclusion means both that the doors are open to the LGBT community and also welcoming. Welcoming in the sense that LGBT families are asked to have a vital voice in what we feel is our primary value. Which is that LGBT families be encouraged to share with us from the light of their hearts  what their experience as being gay and Quaker has been.

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
6 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
22 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service