does anyone know if the Ohio yearly meeting and its monthly meetings are accepting of gays in their meeting and will they accept us as members as that's the meetings here closest to me and i do accept Jesus Christ 

Views: 1924

Replies to This Discussion

hey elzie

OYM has recently finished its 2011 yearly meeting. left over from last year was the issue of the proposed change to the discipline, that among other things specifically defined marriage as "between one man and one woman." that change to the discipline had been approved by one of OYM's two quarters, although the second quarter had not been consulted before the change was brought to the floor of last year's YM, which is the customary process. at that time it was sent down to the second quarter's monthly meetings for consideration, with the request that a minute be presented to the YM at this yearly meeting.

during the year, the second quarter did not find unity with the paragraph, and so the change to the discipline for the overall OYM will not fly. this is significant, because a decade or two ago, it would have slid on through with little comment as representing the understanding of the yearly meeting. this time, there was a great deal of comment, and OYM decided that the change to the discipline did not represent its discerning of unity with christ. it seems that this decision came as a surprise to some members.

what it means is that OYM has seriously reassessed its past discernment in this matter, and at the very least no longer believes that a paragraph including the phrase "marriage is between one man and one woman" adequately describes our understanding of the will of god.

OYM has a number of openly and not-so-openly homosexual individual and couples who have been estranged from the YM in the past over this issue. in my opinion, this decision by the yearly meeting opens up an opportunity to invite them back.

you're pretty close to stillwater, which is my own monthly meeting in OYM. why don't you come visit some first day?

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
5 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service