In-lieu of the support of a local meeting (which I don't have at the moment, for numerous reasons), I'd love to ask those here to hold my family in the Light. I'm a single mom to three very high-needs foster kids, and we are again hitting some very trying times. I've been working hard to drum up all the resources I can for my five year old son, who has started feeling secure enough (I'm told) to start really blooming with some very trying behaviors. Things have been challenging enough lately that I've had to start considering whether I'll be able to continue parenting all three kids. I believe that they are supposed to be here, and wish to make it work.

I know I have good parenting skills and am consistent, firm, creative, and loving. When a kid is losing control, however (hitting people/animals, grabbing/throwing things, ripping trim off of cabinets, scratching cars with rocks, etc.), there is only one of me. I have to stay with the kid who needs monitoring, and then I have a three year old and an eight year old, each with their own problems. We are working on the theory that at this point the other two kids could read together, but considering they also are a) kids and b) kids with their own issues, this sort of idea doesn't always work.

I don't know that I'm looking for advice as much as support. I'm a teacher, and am gathering as many supportive/diagnostic/nutritional/emotional supports as I can for this kid who is struggling so mightily. (He also has cognitive delays, language delays, and possible sensory disorders, which all complicate things.) School will start in a month, and the consistency of that will help notably. We have structure to our summer days, but it does vary some from week to week, and that's hard.

These times are when I am tempted to land back in a traditional Christian church, though I know I don't belong there and can't really go back there in clear conscience. I am tired, and worried, and aching, and would love to read words of encouragement and wisdom from Quaker sisters and brothers.

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

I feel over distance I can't say a lot that would help, but am holding you in the light. Hang in there, sounds like you're doing a grand job.
In Friendship
Frances

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
20 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service