I've begun to wonder why modern Friends, especially those in the unprogrammed worship tradition (conservative and liberal) do not make worship a regular habit each Sunday? I can think of lots of reasons why one would think it would be a regular habit:

- What could be more exciting and beneficial than engaging in expectant waiting for God (or Christ, or the Light) to speak to us through that still small voice?
- In a world where most must spend a hectic and busy week multi-tasking and interacting with so many individuals (egos, if you will), wouldn't it be so energizing to spend one hour weekly fully engaged with the one task of directly experiencing God?
- Where else can you be in the company of others who are bonded to you in the shared experience of stillness? Isn't that in itself just amazing?

Increasingly, I hear that many meetings are having declining participation in worship. I know my meeting is, even though it is not obvious why.

What do you think is going on in our meetings that is the root cause of this declining interest in worship?

Views: 767

Replies to This Discussion

In my opinion, the more  "conservative" or perhaps "extreme" religions out there-Jehovah Witness,Pentacostals, Mormons, Hassidic Jewish etc would be very much  willing to "give someone a ride" asap- and we religious liberals can learn from this I believe

About 15 yrs ago I was taking some training  as part of my job in the middle of Illinois, and I was at that time a Unitarian Universalist. There was a UU congregation 20 miles away with as it turned out several members close by where I was staying at a hiotel.  When I called the UU congregation, the secretary didnt understand why I needed a ride and I should pay $75 each way for a taxi.

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
6 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service