Dear All!

I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of on-line resouces that might help me - I've been asked to write an article on the above topic - particularly how the focus on co-creation informs Quakers around sustainability issues in the world.

Many thanks!

Beth Follini

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

your best bet is to contact www.quakerearthcare.org - QEW focuses on these issues. I can steer you to particular people if need be.
Elaine
Hi Beth: might I suggest QEWnet's discussion forum? There is a list of resources that various Friends have suggested http://qewnet.ning.com/forum/topics/resources-list-for-earthcare
and a number of other threads. You could even start one of your own. I'd be interested in hearing what happens on this thread in QuakerQuaker...
Dear Beth,

While good suggestions have been made to contact QEW, I don't know that it has anything yet specific to your question on how the focus on co-creation informs sustainability issues.

There is a new committee within QEW that just started meeting monthly since June. It is looking at spiritual implications from many directions. One of its focuses comes from looking at things from the new cosmology or "new story" unfolding since the big bang, has everything connected even to the sub atomic level. Continuing revelation is connected to continuing evolution and how we act and how we think is connected to this.

Ultimately, all that stands between matter and energy is a dance at the sub atomic level. Which is to say that all things are energy, in one state or another. There are at least three different examples about the energy - matter connection that I find very intriguing.

Bell's Theorem on non-locality: Both theory and tests prove a connection of matter over distance.
Dr. Masaru Emoto"s research on the effect of emotion on the physical properties of water: Expose water to negative energies of anger or fear and it's frozen crystalline structure is muddled. Expose water to positive energies of love and hope and it's frozen crystalline structure is beautiful and clear.
Lynne McTaggart's writings ("The Field" , "The Intention Experiment") about the affects of intention (focussed prayer, meditation, etc.) on physical outcomes

These three examples show to me that there is a direct connection between all things (we are one) and that that connection may be that we all exist in the same field of energy and our abilities to advance to the next level of evolution may be in our ability to tap into that field on a conscious level. Quakers already do this in part as a form of worship in which we expectantly wait in silence to tap into the "light". Can this "light" be the same as the "field"?

Peace & Love,
Roy
I need to respond to your observation that you are having difficulty finding anything specifically Quaker in relation to sustainability.

The five major testimonies all speak to sustainability.
Personally I start from the perspective of equality. If we are all equal, we need to be observant not to take more than our share. and not to leave our waste in another's backyard.

Simplicity is also self explanatory. If each of of lived a more simple life there would be less of a problem. This is not about feeling guilty. It is about examining the choices we make and finding those places where extravagance has crept in with desire. Does this material good add to the quality of my life as a Quaker? Guilt can be a reminder that we are not being true to ourselves.

Peace will be tested hard in the absence of sustainability. While I am concerned about the affects of warming it is the climate change that I fear. Russia burning up in the summer heat, ruining their grain harvest. Pakistan being flooded out this past spring with the monsoons leaving 25,000,000 people displaced and ruining their crops. Quick, do the math, of 25,000,000 people on the move, hungry and homeless, and wait for the disease to set in like in Haiti, How many of these are males between the age of 15 & 25? (talk about a guy thing) The answer is about 2,000,000 give or take. They are hungry, out of work, too much time on their hands, and they are angry. What do you think the fallout of this is going to be? This is one of the many problems caused by climate change that are not being addressed. This is a Peace issue. This is a spiritual crisis.

Community. It is only through community that I think we are going to be able to solve the issues that are coming down on us. While localization movements are picking up around the world (transition towns, etc.) it will be our faith communities that we will be able to draw strength from in tough times.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - I have still not written this article but I have resolved to make some progress over the x-mas/newyears period.  Any other suggestions are gratefully received!

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
7 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
22 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
22 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service