I would like to hear from those in the conservative Quaker arena on what exactly they believe concerning the gifts of the spirit, ie.

“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.” (1 Corinthians 12:7-11)

1. The Word of Knowledge
  2. The Word of Wisdom
  3. The Gift of Prophecy
  4. The Gift of Faith
  5. The Gifts of Healings
  6. The Working of Miracles
  7. The Discerning of Spirits
  8. Different Kinds of Tongues
  9. The Interpretation of Tongues

My main question is do Quakers operate in these gifts today? And if anyone has a story or example to connect with what they  believe that would be great to read!

(I did find out the following)

George Fox was the founder of Quakerism in the
1650s in England. His Book of Miracles is an account
of over 170 “miracles” performed, including raising
people from the dead. Upon his death, the Book was
not published with his journals and other papers. In
fact, it was only in the 1930s that the accounts resurfaced
and the text was reconstructed.  Moreover, the healing miracles that Fox performed were attributed to and in the Spirit of
Jesus Christ.

Peace to you,

Views: 636

Replies to This Discussion

I am a convinced quaker.  I have what I call a personal relationship with Jesus that started when I was a 38 year old Catholic.  I immediately became part of the Catholic Charismatic renewal where I was "baptized in the spirit".  Subsequently I spent many years as a member of a non-denominational pentacostal church.  So the answer to your query is yes.  I and my wife have spiritual gifts we operate in and have seen spiritual gifts operate in others.  It is my belief, shared with Billy Graham among others, that many people operate in at least one of these gifts without understanding it is a spiritual gift or having a recollection of being baptized in the spirit.

...'many people operate in at least one of these gifts'

I believe this too and also that they are not limited to one gift since they have access to the Spirit who has all these gifts. That if the person is open the Spirit can use them as He will.

Thank you Pen for your clear explanation.  I am in complete agreement with you.

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
6 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service