I've asked myself many times "How do we remain non-violent when an evil such as the Taliban is running rampant?" I'm a member of the Rockingham Meeting, and my good friends there Jack and Susan have offered many good answers.
Fighting evil with violence generally fosters more violence, and thus we create an endless cylce--that is one way many Friends answer this question (there are other answers as well). You may be interested to read this article in Time Magazine today: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1924322,00.html?xid=n...
It is an interview with a former Taliban commander who was defeated, and then decided to join the Karzai government forces. The government forces lied to him on many fronts, tortured his brother, etc.--and now this man is back to fighting with the Taliban. Reading this story gives soundness to the Quaker answer cited above.
What do the rest of you think? If we aren't going to be violent, then what will we do?

Views: 287

Replies to This Discussion

Be examples, be patterns...

The Qu'ran itself says: Repel evil with what is better. Then will he, between whom and thee was hatred, become as it were thy friend and intimate.

Chapter 41, verse 34

Of course, to love one's enemies requires faith in God's purpose.

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
6 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
21 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service