I have been approached a few times and have thought about it as well, about starting a Quaker Meeting for Worship in my city.  I have some commitments for support from two meetings in my state, some would try to attend once every month or two to help and do what they can.  I have another Friend who lives an hour away who is interested in coming once a month as well.  I know many meetings start in a member's house, but I have a small studio apartment, so its not feasible for that.  Does anyone have any ideas or comments on starting a group?  The group I attend and am more or less a member of, is an hour's drive and meets twice a month.  Our quarterly meeting actually meets in a city right next to mine at a retreat center (but the quarterly meeting actually meets once a year since we are so small).  I'm in Southwest Louisiana, so its not really a hot bed of different religions, its mostly Catholic or Pentecostal.  I do have a facebook group I run for our quarterly meeting, but its pretty sparse, I end up being the only one who posts.

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Look for a small local Methodist church and offer to do an hour unprogrammed worship after or just before their regular Sunday service.  A lot of Methodist churches have a history with Quakers and there are Methodist Ministers who lead Programmed Quaker meetings.  Just a thought.  Good luck.  I'm one of 3 couples who were fortunate to move into an existing meeting that was starting to be closed on more Sundays than it was open and we have been there for about 4 years now.  We get a steady stream of visitors and there's always one or two attenders testing the waters and a few of the older members who join us now that they know the doors will always be open.  You have to want to meet for the sake of meeting because we presently don't have a "popular" brand that is going to attract new attenders.  Just be loving and let the light shine and find out what part of Christ's body you are supposed to become. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service