One thing I love in silent worship is that speech is only when led and not by rote.

One thing I miss in silent worship is that songs of praise and joy are never voiced.

In (and immediately after) several meetings I've attended, I felt led to sing, but didn't. I'm only an attender, I'm incredibly self-conscious about singing in public, nobody else ever does it (that I've heard), and it would have seemed awfully pretentious. And yet...

Has anyone else felt led to sing in meeting? Has anyone heard someone follow such a leading? Does God not call any of His people to worship Him in song?

Views: 510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have ministered in song and heard amazing powerful sung ministry. when it comes, it is a revelation. also the meeting i attend has hymn sing before formal meeting. very nice.

Sometimes happened at Pendle Hill, with good results.

Friends,

There has been many a time someone was moved to sign during Worship at Ramallah meeting in the Occupied West Bank. Although I am a genuinely poor singer, and often have problems singing some of the text, in the last year I have found myself actually enjoying the odd hymn or 4.  I also occasionally attend a Mennonite church, where the sing is generally poor and a bit of a dirge (but a great community and I am off challenged and uplifted by the Pastoral team there).  

However, there is another Mennonite Church in southern Germany I attend about 1x a year, and they have a great mix of hymns, ministry and silent expectant waiting (often because several other Quakers attend).

Some of us here in Europe do possess the Quaker Song Book, and at German Yearly Meeting there is often an early morning Worship with signing.

Howard, that also reassures a poor singer like me :-)

Singing in the Spirit in Early Quakerism
Kenneth L. Carroll
Quaker History, Volume 73, Number 1, Spring 1984, pp. 1-13 (Article)

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/394004/pdf

[ This content has been declared free to read by the publisher during the COVID-19 pandemic. ]

See also Joshua L Baily, "Friends and Music," Bulletin of Friends Historical Association, Vol.23, #1, Spring, 1934, 22-30.  The *Bulletin* was the predecessor of Quaker History and its articles are available for free download during the Pandemic at the Friends Historical Association site (reference above).  Baily discusses intoned preaching at some length, including musical transcriptions of excerpts from some sermons.

List of Quaker History  and Bulletin articles at https://muse.jhu.edu/journal/394

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service