Dear friends,

This question was posed to me over twenty years ago and it has served my growth in God very well over the years since.

Are you able to 'eat the meat and spit out the bones?'

For so long I was stunted in my ability to grow due to judgment of others (the 'log in your own eye' syndrome!). Especially those is leadership.  I would be going along fine with what they were saying and then suddenly they would say that one thing that I would disagree with.  That one thing that I just could not get over.  And then...you know how it goes, the old 'throw the baby out with the bath water' routine.

I would loose everything that was being shared that was good for me just because of that one thing I disagreed with.  Or that one thing I saw in their life that didn't line up.

Until I heard a christian lady ask this question.  Suddenly I realized all the good spiritual meals I had missed because I was choking on the bones.  I resolved then and there to try to eat the meat and spit out the bones.  To receive into myself those things which I recognized as truth and good for my own growth.  And not to enter into judgment over things which I have no right to anyway.  I choose to spit out the bones now, not to chew on them.

Whether it is with leaders or individuals this has served me well in looking to the good things and avoiding judgment of others.

Is judgment of others something which you have struggled with?  What have been the tools with which you have gained victory?  Share your experiences on the subject of negative judgment and how it has affected your life and growth in Christ, now or in the past.

Peace to all,

Nanna Kapp

Views: 1543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the culture that I was born. The leaders taught us to judge others that were not associated with our culture. We were the only people going to heaven, all others were lost.

An unknown, hidden genetic birth defect surfaced in my 39th year to my surprise.

My focus on life changed . . . from my profession . . . to my illness . . . to daily listening to God.

God reveled his plan for all mankind . . . to me . . . and now . . . I have no reason to judge anyone.

It is impossible to have true growth in our spiritual life if we judge anyone.

We may think that we are growing spiritually . . . but we are only fooling ourselves.

best regards

Rick
Thank you, Friend! This post spoke to my condition today. The Quaker blogosphere is full of judgments, especially of other Quakers. If I approach it in an argumentative spirit, I get caught up in frustration and sadness. But when I can "spit out the bones," I find solid nourishment everywhere.
Blessings,
Rosemary

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service